Book dealers and book collectors alike may want to participate in Bonham & Butterfields’ June 25 auction of books, manuscripts, and entertainment memorabilia. Lots of heady stuff here. The auction will be held at 10:00 am PST in their San Francisco galleries, but if you can’t attend, absentee bids will be accepted online. Here are a few highlights submitted by Marketing Manager Ronnie Sharpe:
- Property from the Estate of Edwin and Irma Grabhorn, co-founder of the famed Grabhorn Press.
- Property from the Estate of Jean Bethell Gardner, longtime secretary and later wife of mystery novelist Erle Stanley Gardner, the model for the character Della Street.
- Property from the Estate of Sarah Vaughan, one of the 20th century's
greatest jazz vocalists, including autograph manuscripts, photographs, sheet music, gowns, contracts, and more.
- The Miles White Collection of Original Costume Designs, featuring original artwork for Broadway shows such as Oklahoma! and Carousel by the Tony Award-winning and Oscar-nominated designer.
- The William P. Lemons Collection, featuring letters, documents, and photography from the Standing Rock Reservation, 1877-1906, documenting the last generation of Sioux warriors under Sitting Bull.
- This sale also features over 200 lots of literature, including first editions of Faulkner, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Chandler, Hammett, Maugham, Eliot, Dickens, Joyce, London, Kerouac, McCullers, Wolfe, and Woolf, among others, as well as maps by Blaeu, Mercator, Moll, and Ortelius; fine examples of the octavo editions of Birds of America and Quadrupeds of America; a rare autograph manuscript of Richard Wagner; a Winston Churchill letter to General H. H. "Hap" Arnold written two days after delivering the famed "Iron Curtain" speech; Americana including letters and manuscripts of Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln, U.S. Grant, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Wilbur and Orville Wright.
The complete auction catalog is available online at: